Match Reports‎ > ‎

ACFL Division 1 - Rd 2 - Rathcline vs. Carrickedmond 20th April 2013

posted 21 Apr 2013, 15:14 by Unknown user

Date: Saturday 20th April 2013 @ 5:15pm

Venue: Clonbonny

Final Score: Rathcline 1-11, Carrickedmond 2-06

Congratulations to our senior team who got back to winning ways in round two of the Leader cup last weekend. The team beat Carrickedmond on Saturday evening in Clonbonny by two points with a final score: Rathcline 1-11, Carrickedmond 2-06. Although enjoying the best of the possession count in the second half, the team were guilty in conceding two soft goals near the end allowing the opposition to finish the stronger in what could have been a disaster for Rathcline. Thankfully the team weathered the storm and it is clearly evident that there is a continuous improvement regime under the stewardship of Gerry Lynn. There is a nice structure to our team at present and bodes well for the rest of the league campaign. Round three takes place in two weeks time (Friday 03rd May @ 8pm) when we travel to Dromard in what promises to be a tough test for our lads.

Rathcline conceded two early points to Carrickedmond in the 1st & 2nd minute. This was followed by some poor shooting on Rathcline’s behalf with some noticeable misses from our inside forward line.   James Hanley scored Rathcline’s first score on 8 minutes. Conor Casey picked up what looked like a very harsh yellow early on the game. Carrickedmond scored two more points on the 17th and 19th minute mark while James Hanley scored his 2nd point of the day on 22 minutes. Conor was shown the book by the referee again forcing manager Gerry Lynn into making an early substitution.  Conor was replaced by Mel Shanley. Rathcline were guilty of some very poor decision making in the 1st half and never really hit form at any stage. Carrickedmond were awarded a close in free late in 1st half only to kick it low and straight into the hands of Eamon Farrell. This was to be the end of a very lack lustre 1st half.

Half time score: Rathcline 0-02, Carrickedmond 0-04.

After a frank team talk by the management team, Rathcline came into the 2nd half with a bit more drive and determination. Early points from Derek Casserely 31st minute and Mel Shanley 2 minutes later drew the game with 4 points each. Carrickedmond pulled one back on 34 minutes only for Aaron Madden to score his 1st score of the day on 37 minutes. James Hanley followed this a minute with his 3rd point of the day. Kevin Chapman put his name on the scoreboard on the 45 minute mark with a point only to be followed 2 minutes later with the 1st goal of the day scored by Shane Casserely to leave the score line now reading 1-06 Rathcline to Carrickedmond 0-05. Rathcline took control of the game for the next 5 minutes with points from Mel Shanley (x2), Aaron Madden and James Hanley. At this stage Liam Connerton and Aaron were replaced by Kevin Hanley and David Rooney. A lack of concentration at this point resulted in us conceding a goal on 52 minutes. The tide turned in favour of Carrickedmond when they put another quick point on the board to leave a deficit to 5 points between the teams. Two minutes later this was reduced down to 2 points when Carrickedmond scored their 2nd goal of the day. However Rathcline dug deep to withstand the onslaught and hold out for a good win.

Final Score: Rathcline 1-11, Carrickedmond 2-06.

Photo’s of the game are available on the Club Photos section of this website.

Team: David Mulvihill, Cathal Greene, Michael Morrisey, Blain Fallon, Eamon Farrell, Conor Casey, Stephen Farrell, Derek Casserely, Shane Casserely, Kevin Chapman, Paddy Mullooly, Liam Connerton, James Hanley, James Carroll, Aaron Madden.

Subs Used: Mel Shanley, Kevin Hanley, David Rooney,