Match Reports

Champions again as Rathcline retain Longford Intermediate football championship title

posted 26 Oct 2018, 11:30 by Rathcline Public Relations Officer   [ updated 26 Oct 2018, 11:31 ]

Courtesy of Longford Leader

It took a second final replay to eventually determine the destination of the Gerry Hennessy Cup this year and it was Rathcline who took the Intermediate Championship title in a real thriller at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Sunday last.

Rathcline . . . 2-14       Ardagh St Patrick’s/Moydow Harpers . . . 1-13

When Ardagh/Moydow defender Gerard Farrell surged forward to fire the ball over the bar in the 55th minute the sides were deadlocked at 1-13 apiece in a pulsating game and another draw was looking the likely outcome.

But moments later the decisive score that finally settled this epic encounter materialised when Rathcline wing back Kian Gilmore set off on a penetrating run before playing the perfect pass into the path of Niall Keane.

Keane had nothing but a goal on his mind and he made no mistake in shooting past the opposing keeper Darren Farrell and while Ardagh/Moydow tried very hard to salvage the situation they failed to register another score.

A goal attempt from Paddy Ganley in the 60th minute was deflected wide and after Finn Hartmann dropped a ‘45’ into the square in the hope that the amalgamation might snatch the equalising score it was not to be as the Rathcline defence stood firm.

Ardagh/Moydow were reduced to 14 players when Brian Farrell was sent-off in the fifth minute of stoppage time and Shane Kenny then pointed a well struck ‘45’ to make absolutely certain of another Rathcline success in the Intermediate grade, their fifth title in total.

In retaining the Gerry Hennessy Cup and winning the second tier championship for the third time in the space of four years, the Lanesboro club make their return to the senior grade next season with a number of promising young players in their squad.

Two of those, Iarla O’Sullivan and Kian Gilmore, were particularly impressive in the highly entertaining second replay on Sunday last with the man of the award winner O’Sullivan scoring three crucial points in the third quarter of the cracking contest.

The dangerman O’Sullivan also had three goal chances in playing a major role in the county title triumph and Rathcline can now look forward to the Leinster Intermediate Club quarter-final away to the Wexford champions Gorey or Mullinavat (Kilkenny) on Saturday November 10.

Spare a thought for the gallant losers Ardagh/Moydow who were badly hit by injuries during this championship campaign with Daryl Carrigy out of action along with Tommy Powell while Conor Carroll (appendix) was unable to feature in the final part of the marathon title decider.

Fergal Keenan was forced to retire injured after only four minutes on Sunday last but in came Finn Hartmann to produce a terrific display that saw him score five points from play, four in the first half.

A brace of scores apiece from Killian Farrell, Paddy Ganley and Shane Henry (one free) left Ardagh/Moydow leading by 0-10 to 0-8 at the break but they had a few lucky escapes as Rathcline somehow failed to score a goal in the first half.

Three of their eight points came from Liam Connerton (two frees) with Kevin Chapman (2), Shane Kenny and James Hanley (2) also on target, although Hanley should have found the back of the net when he blasted the ball over the bar from close range in the 28th minute.

Immediately on the changeover Iarla O’Sullivan had a point-blank goal attempt well saved by the Ardagh/Moydow netminder Darren Farrell before they got back on level terms with scores from O’Sullivan and Oran Kenny, the latter well placed to find the net in shooting over the bar.

The amalgamation then regained the lead when Finn Hartmann fired over his fifth point when he could have found the net but his side fell behind when Rathcline substitute Aaron Madden scored a crucial goal in the 41st minute, the end result of a brilliant  move.

Two points in quick succession from Iarla O’Sullivan left the title holders in what appeared to be a fairly comfortable 1-12 to 0-11 lead midway through the second half but Ardagh/Moydow got right back into contention when great work by Killian Farrell created the opening for Rory Sullivan to plant the ball in the roof of the net in the 49th minute.

The titanic battle continued with a point apiece from frees converted by Shane Henry and Aaron Madden and while Gerard Farrell landed the levelling score for Ardagh/Moydow, a second goal for Rathcline from Niall Keane in the 56th minute swung the issue in favour of Liam Tully’s more energetic team.   

RATHCLINE: David Mulvihill; David Rooney, Kevin Sorohan, Michael Morrissey; Neil O’Connor, Shane Donohoe, Kian Gilmore; Kevin Chapman (0-2), Shane Kenny (0-2, one from ‘45); Niall Keane (1-0), Derek Casserly, Iarla O’Sullivan (0-3); Oran Kenny (0-1), Liam Connerton (0-3, two frees), James Hanley (0-2).

Subs:- Cillian Flood for M Morrissey (19 mins); Aaron Madden (1-1, point from free) for J Hanley (39 mins); Ryan Fallon for N O'Connor (53 mins); Shane Casserly for S Donohoe (injured, 58 mins); Eamon Farrell for N Keane (three minutes into stoppage time).

ARDAGH ST PATRICK’S/MOYDOW HARPERS: Darren Farrell; Brian Farrell, Niall Keenan, John Keegan; Fergal Keenan, Gerard Farrell (0-1), Mark Quinn; Frank Galvin, Edward Powell; Shane Henry (0-3, two frees), Paddy Keenan, Emmet Donlon; Paddy Ganley (0-2), Killian Farrell (0-2), Rory Sullivan (1-0).

Subs:- Finn Hartmann (0-5) for F Keenan (injured, 4 mins); John Shea for E Donlon (46 mins); Seamus Shortt for F Galvin (47 mins).

Referee: Patrick Maguire (St Mary’s Granard).

Longford Intermediate Football Championship Final: Ronan Clyne goal crucial as Rathcline overcome Sean Connolly’s to win county title

posted 26 Sept 2017, 06:49 by Rathcline Public Relations Officer   [ updated 26 Sept 2017, 06:51 ]

Report courtesy of Longford Leader

Showing fierce resilience after their main man Shane Kenny was sent-off for a second yellow card offence with ten minutes gone in the second half at a stage when they trailed by two points, Rathcline eventually conquered Sean Connolly’s in the Intermediate Football Championship Final at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Sunday.

Rathcline . . . 1-10    Sean Connolly’s . . . 0-12

Just a solitary point separated the sides at the break with Rathcline leading by 0-6 to 0-5 but Connolly’s came out with all guns blazing at the start of the second half and enjoyed a glorious spell that yielded four scores in a row - three from Stephen Lynch with Dessie Reynolds also on target.

That was really putting it up to Rathcline but they battled back in very determined fashion and hit the front when powerful centre-half-back Shane Donohue (winner of the man of the match award) surged forward to set up Ronan Clyne for a cracking goal in the 42nd minute.

That was a huge lift for resolute Rathcline who produced a very determined team effort during the remainder of this tight match and Connolly’s were also reduced to 14 players when Frank Reynolds was sent-off after receiving a second yellow card in the 44th minute.  

It might have been a different story for Connolly’s but for a tremendous save by Rathcline keeper David Mulvihill in keeping out a shot from Stephen Lynch with 55 minutes gone on the clock.

Connolly’s had one last chance when they were awarded a close range free in the fourth minute of stoppage time but Dessie Reynolds blasted the ball over the bar in his bid to snatch a last gasp winning goal.

RATHCLINE: David Mulvihill; Jack Rooney, Kevin Sorohan, Kevin Chapman; David Rooney, Shane Donohue, Derek Casserly; Shane Kenny (0-4, one from ‘45), Shane Casserly; Iarla O’Sullivan, James Hanley (0-3, one free), Michael Morrissey; Ryan Fallon, Aaron Madden (0-2, one free), Ronan Clyne (1-1).

Subs:- Michael Hanley for J Rooney (36 mins); Oisin O’Sullivan for R Fallon (53 mins); Niall Keane for D Rooney (black card, 58 mins).

SEAN CONNOLLY’S: Stephen Murtagh; Tommy Keogh, Ciaran MacEoin, Michael McGlynn; Greg Masterson, Dessie Reynolds (0-4, three frees), John McKenna (0-1); Stephen Lynch (0-4, three frees), Daire Duggan; Sean Kenny, Andy McNamee, Paddy O’Neill; Frank Reynolds, Paddy McDonnell, Joe Heaney (0-2).

Subs:- Eugene Murtagh for A McNamee (44 mins); Trevor Murtagh (0-1) for P O’Neill (48 mins); Daniel Collumb for S Kenny (50 mins); Brendan Treacy for S Lynch (injured, 57 mins).

Referee: Patrick Maguire (St Mary’s Granard).

Intermediate Championship Semi-Final 2017 Rathcline 3-12 V Ardagh/Moydow 0-13

posted 4 Sept 2017, 15:01 by Rathcline Public Relations Officer   [ updated 4 Sept 2017, 15:04 ]

Report courtesy of Padraic O'Brien Longford Leader

Rathcline reached the Intermediate Football Championship title decider in getting the better of Ardagh/Moydow in the semi-final clash at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Saturday evening.

Rathcline . . . 3-12     Ardagh/Moydow . . . 0-13

Although the Lanesboro outfit had the comfortable margin of eight points to spare in the finish, just the minimum (1-8 to 0-10) separated the sides when Daryl Carrigy fisted the ball over the bar for the amalgamation midway through the second half.

Rathcline then suffered a significant setback when Liam Connerton was stretchered off in the 47th minute after sustaining what appeared to be a serious injury but they pushed on to fire over three fine points in a row through James Hanley, Shane Kenny and Ryan Fallon before they struck  the killer blow in the 56th minute with a goal from Fallon.

RATHCLINE: David Mulvihill; Jack Rooney, Kevin Chapman, Kevin Sorohan; David Rooney, Shane Donohue, Derek Casserly; Shane Kenny (1-3, goal from penalty), Shane Casserly (0-1); Iarla O’Sullivan (1-0), James Hanley (0-1), Ryan Fallon (1-2); Aaron Madden (0-1), Liam Connerton (0-4, three frees), Ronan Clyne.

Subs:- Oisin O’Sullivan for A Madden (injured, 19 mins); Niall Keane for L Connerton (injured, 47 mins).

Blood sub:- N Keane for J Hanley (37 mins); J Hanley back on for N Keane (43 mins).

ARDAGH ST PATRICK’S/MOYDOW HARPERS: Michael Lenehan; Ciaran Kelly (0-1), Niall Keenan, Oisin Mac an Bheatha; Conor Carroll, Gareth Dennigan, John Shea; Paddy Keenan (0-2), Seamus Shortt; Thomas Farrell (0-2), Killian Farrell (0-6, four frees), Gerard Farrell; Aaron McTiernan, Daryl Carrigy (0-1), Finn Hartmann (0-1).

Intermediate Championship Final 2015 Rathcline 3-05 V 0-09 Killashee

posted 24 Sept 2015, 11:50 by Rathcline Public Relations Officer   [ updated 24 Sept 2015, 11:53 ]

Courtesy of Longford Leader

Rathcline won the Intermediate Football Championship title for the third time in their history when they withstood a determined comeback by Killashee St Brigid’s in a scrappy final at Glennon Brothers Pearse Park on Sunday last.

Played in difficult wet conditions, Rathcline laid the foundations for their eventual triumph by scoring a couple of crucial goals and appeared to be cruising when they established a commanding 2-4 to 0-1 lead with 20 minutes gone in the first half.

With James Carroll (winner of the man-of-the-match award) and the commanding Shane Donoghue (who was immense throughout the game) leading the charge in the half-back-line and Derek Casserly making his presence felt at centrefield, the attack received a great supply of the ball with Liam Connerton, Shane Kenny and James Hanley inflicting the damage.

The Killashee defence were split wide open on a few occasions with Connerton setting up Hanley for the first goal in the 7th minute while Ronan Clyne and Derek Casserly were involved in the slick move that sent Connerton racing through for the next goal in the 20th minute.

Just after the James Hanley goal, which was the opening score in the game, Shane Kenny landed a brilliant long range point and then defender James Carroll was left unchallenged as he surged forward to fire the ball over the bar.

Kenny then converted a free before Killashee got their first score in the 14th minute, from a Willie Skelly free, but back came Rathcline with a point from Hanley who slotted over a close range free awarded for a foul on Connerton.

But right throughout the first half Killashee were pressing the self destruct button by kicking wides (eight in total), which included a poor finish by Mark Rossiter in squandering a decent chance of a badly needed goal in the 19th minute.

Rathcline launched an immediate counter-attack with Liam Connerton shooting to the back of the net but the newly crowned Intermediate champions (previous winners in 2005) remarkably failed to score for another 31 minutes as St Brigid’s gradually awoke from their slumber.

Their enthusiastic supporters among the attendance who braved a miserable wet day watched on with some hope as the gap was closed with three points in a row through substitute Enda McKiernan, James Willis and Michael Farrell (free).

But in between Rathcline had a glorious chance to put the issue beyond all doubt when Liam Connerton set up Shane Casserly for another goal chance but the latter miskicked right in front of the posts when looking certain to finish the ball to the net.

Trailing by 2-4 to 0-4 at the break, Killashee were guilty of some more poor finishing before Willie Skelly converted a brace of frees in the 40th and 43rd minutes and soon after substitute Tony Dooner was dismissed for a black card offence after a short time on the pitch.

St Brigid’s could have done without that setback and after Alan Milton (who replaced Dooner) has a shot blocked down, another second half replacement Killian Lee shot wide.

County minor Lee, only recently back in action after injury, certainly improved matters for Killashee who pulled another point back when the accurate Willie Skelly fired over a well struck free.

But the pressure was eased on Rathcline, who finally brought their scoring famine to an end when James Hanley landed a vital free in the 51st minute, and they now led by four points, 2-5 to 0-7.

St Brigid’s, to their great credit, battled it out to the bitter end and late scores from Willie Skelly (free) and Darren Carberry reduced the deficit to just two points to ensure an exciting finish.

But in the end it was the lack of scoring power that cost Killashee so dearly and their title dream was eventually dashed when Shane Kenny put Shane Casserly through for a third Rathcline goal in stoppage time.

Gareth Johnston’s side can now look forward to a clash away against the Wexford or Louth champions in the quarter-final of the Leinster Intermediate Club on November 1st.

The gallant losers St Brigid’s, on the other hand, have the nice consolation of a trip to Europe to take on Amsterdam in the preliminary round of the Leinster Junior Club Championship on Saturday October 10th.

Apart from capturing the Gerry Hennessy Cup, Rathcline make their return to the senior grade where they believe that their club rightly belong and will savour this success.

RATHCLINE: Anthony Mulligan; Cathal Greene, Michael Morrissey, Blain Fallon; James Carroll (0-1), Shane Donoghue, Kevin Chapman; Derek Casserly, Barry Clarke; Shane Casserly (1-0), Ronan Clyne, David Rooney; James Hanley (1-2, points from frees), Liam Connerton (1-0), Shane Kenny (0-2, one free).

Subs:- Michael Hanley for C Greene (half-time); Kevin Hanley for B Clarke (43 mins); Kevin Sorohan for B Fallon (black card, 57 mins); Patrick Mullooly for J Hanley (stoppage time).

Blood Sub:- Gareth O’Reilly for D Casserly (second half).

KILLASHEE ST BRIGID’S: Pat Farrell; Keelan Cox, Gerard Evans, Darren Cosgrove; Francis Dolan, Johnny Casey, Enda McPartland; Ogie Campbell, Emmet Skelly; Willie Skelly (0-5, all frees), James Willis (0-1), Mark Rossiter; Darren Carberry (0-1), Michael Farrell (0-1, free), Shane Cosgrove.

Subs:- Enda McKiernan(0-1) for M Rossiter (21 mins); Killian Lee for F Dolan (half-time); Tony Dooner for O Campbell (41 mins); Mel Shanley for J Willis (45 mins); Alan Milton for T Dooner (black card, 46 mins); David O’Neill for E McPartland (58 mins).

Referee: Patrick Maguire (St Mary’s Granard).

Intermediate Championship - Rathcline 2-08 Vs 0-06 Legan 20th July 2014

posted 11 Aug 2014, 03:25 by Rathcline Public Relations Officer   [ updated 11 Aug 2014, 03:28 ]

Please click on link below for full match report courtesy of the Longford Leader

Longford U 21's

posted 6 Mar 2014, 04:06 by Rathcline Public Relations Officer

Longford Progress to Leinster U21 Football Semi-Final

Congrats to all involved in the Longford U 21's, and especially our own club man Liam Connerton, who had an outstanding game, scoring 1-1, in our win over Laois. Please find match report, and the very best of luck to Liam and the team as they face Dublin in the next round.

Longford 1-13

Laois      1-12   After Extra Time

A gritty and determined performance saw Longford overcome a 6 point deficit to defeat Laois, after extra-time, by the slenderest of margins in their Leinster U21 Quarter-final tie in a wet and windy O’Moore Park.

When Paul Kingston fired over Laois’s 5th point of the game to stretch their lead to 6 in the27th minute it looked like Longford were going to struggle to get back into the game but 1 minute later they pulled a goal back through Liam Connerton and suddenly it was game on.

Even in the early stages of the 2nd half when Laois went 5 in front in the 37th minute Longford didn’t panic and battled hard to give themselves a chance in the game. They could’ve won in normal time but Laois fired over a late free. In extra-time both had chances but Longford stood firm to book their place in the last 4 and earn a meeting with the Dubs.

The home side made a bright start to the game and were 4 points up within the opening 6 minutes thanks to Martin Scully’s goal. Barry McKeon could only reply with a point for Longford before Laois tagged on 2 more points. Rory Connor got Longford’s 2nd point in the 20th minute before Evan Costello and Kingston extended their side’s advantage in the 27thminute. One minute later Longford were right back in the game when Connerton found the back of the net. Robbie Smyth fired over a point on the stroke of half-time to leave Longford trailing by just 2 points.

Despite playing against the wind after the interval Laois made the better start to the 2nd half and were 5 in front in the 37thminute but suddenly Longford began to get a grip on proceedings and 3 fantastic points from Smyth and a James McGivney free brought them to within 1 of Laois in the 46th minute.

When Barry McKeon then levelled the game swung in Longford’s favour, a neat Paddy Kiernan point put them in front for the first time in the 48th minute.

Points were then traded as Longford kept their narrow lead entering the final 2 minutes but right at the end they conceded a free and when something was said the ball was moved in which gave Costello the perfect chance to bring the game to extra-time.

Connerton put Longford ahead inside the opening minute but they were very lucky in the 69th minute when Evan O’Carroll’s stinging effort appeared to be tipped onto the crossbar by Longford keeper Garreth Higgins.

McKeon edged Longford in front by 2 before substitute Alan Farrell cut the gap before half-time in extra-time. The final 10 minutes were nervy as both sides went in search of scores. In the 73rd minute McKeon fired over a fine point before Farrell got his 2nd minutes later. Try as they might Laois couldn’t get the score to force a replay and Longford held out for a meeting with the Dubs in 2 weeks.

Longford: Garreth Higgins; Cian Farrelly, Andrew Farrell, Anthony McBrien; Shane Clarke, Stephen McLoughlin, Conor Shields; Barry McKeon (0-3), James McGivney (0-1,1f); Emmet Noonan, Rory Connor (0-1), Paddy Kiernan (0-1); Andrew Dalton (0-1), Robbie Smyth (0-5,1f), Liam Connerton (1-1)

Subs: Barry O’Farrell for McBrien (35), Ross McNerney for Noonan (54), Daniel Mimnagh for Connor (57), Mattie Gorman for Clarke (70), Podge Gill for McLoughlin (70) 

Laois: Graham Brody; Eoin Feane, Ciaran Lennon, Dan Dunne; Donal Ramsbottom, Mark O’Halloran, Darren Fitzpatrick; Jason Campion, Padraig McEvoy; Eoin George, Evan Costello (0-7,5f), Martin Scully (1-0); Paul Kingston (0-1), Michael Keogh, Evan O’Carroll (0-1).

Subs: Willie Young for Dunne (bc 30), Adam Campion for Campion (ht), Nigel Murphy(0-1) for Scully (42), Alan Farrell (0-2) for George (49), Robbie Dowling for Ramsbottom (52), J Campion for Murphy and Dean Cullen for Young (67), Scully for Feane (75), Young for McEvoy (bc 78)

Reserve League 2 Final 2013 - Rathcline vs. Ballymahon

posted 30 Jun 2013, 02:17 by Unknown user   [ updated 5 Jul 2013, 16:25 ]

Date: 29th June 2013

Venue: Pairc Ciaran, Newtowncashel

Final Score: Rathcline 4-08, Ballymahon 3-08

Reserve League 2 – Pride of our parish this week undoubtedly lies with our Reserve League team who were crowned Intermediate League Champions on Saturday evening in Cashel with a thrilling win over Ballymahon. This is the second year in a row where Joe Rooney has cast his midas touch in this competition and indeed it is worth noting that Rathcline have won this competition in three of the last four years under Joe’s stewardship. This year’s win was even more special as the team had titanic battles through the group stages as well the famous semi final replay win over St. Columbas. 

Although after five minutes in the final our winning run looked like it was coming to abrupt end when Ballymahon registered a 2:02 to no score lead. However, the Rathcline lads did not panic and star man Colly Fayne kicked started the rival with a famous hattrick of goals to put Rathcline in the ascendancy. A couple of positional changes in defence nullified the Ballymahon threat. Kevin Chapman and James Hanley landed a couple of well taken points. These scores were compounded with a well taken penalty by Kevin Hanley to give Rathcline a three point lead going into half time. The second half was a lot more cagey with both teams cancelling each other out in different sectors of the field. The introduction of Michael Morrisey into the defence and Mel Shanley up front helped steady the ship with Mel registering a well taken point. Colly and James added to their tallies with some vital free taking and Rathcline hung on for a fantastic three point win. There was no doubt it was Colin Fayne show in Cashel but it took the complete panel of players to get the team over the line.

Congratulations to all involved

Final Score: Rathline 4-08, Ballymahon 3-08

Team: Tony Mulligan, Cathal Greene, Danny O' Sullivan, Eamonn Farrell, Anthony Farrell, Michael Hanley, Stephen Farrell, Shane Casserely, Kevin Chapman, Fiachra Beirne, Kevin Hanley, David Rooney, James Hanley, Joey Rooney, Colin Fayne. Subs: Michael Morrisey, Mel Shanley, Conor McGrath, Sean Morrisey, Gareth O' Reilly, David Mulvihill, Jack Rooney.

Pictures available on the Club Photos section of the website as well as Club Facebook account.

Longford Leader Match Report

ACFL Division 1 - Rd 3 - Rathcline vs Mostrim - Fri 17th May 2013

posted 19 May 2013, 03:12 by Unknown user

Date: Friday 17th May 2013 @ 8:00pm

Venue: Clonbonny

Final Score: Rathcline 2-07, Mostrim 2-12


Commiserations to our Senior football team who suffered their second defeat of the year to the hands of Mostrim in Clonbonny on Friday night last. The meeting brought together the return of ex manager Enda Macken as Mostrim manager and Mostrim native Gerry Lynn managing the Rathcline lads.  

Most people would agree that it was a case of Rathcline throwing away two points and not pushing on while we had the ascendency in the critical point of the match.

Rathcline opened up the scoring within the first minute with James Hanley registering the first of his tally for the day however this was nullified soon after by Mostrim. Rathcline bounced back to blitz the visitors for the next ten minutes with points from Mel Shanley, James Aaron Madden to race into a 4 points to 1 point lead. Disaster stuck on the 10th min when Blain Fallon pulled down a runner in the box to concede a penalty which was then duly converted to leave the score 1-02 to 0-04 points in favour of Mostrim.

Further hardship was heaped on Rathcline with bad injuries to both Michael Hanley and Blain Fallon (Michael being stretchered off the field & Blain forced to retire in the second half).

On 15 mins, James Hanley converted a free to level the game but Mostrim were to have a their period of dominance before half time conceding points on the five points before the break. Before the half time whistle, James once again pointed to leave half time score Rathcline 0-06, Mostrim 1-06.

Mostrim opened the scoring in the 2nd half with a point after 4 minutes only to be followed 30 seconds later with Rathcline’s first goal of the evening scored by Aaron Madden.

This was followed 3 minutes later with a goal by James Hanley with great interplay by Kevin Hanley and Shane Casserely. This left the scoreline reading Rathcline 2- 06 to Mostrim 1-07. At this stage of the game Rathcline were now in complete control winning every sector of the contest.  James Hanley was awarded a penalty in the 40th min which was ultimately the game breaking moment however unfortunately this was a poor penalty kick which Mostrim duly cleared.

A further point on the 42nd min was little consolation for James after missing the penalty kick. Mostrim regrouped and weathered the storm with Rathcline conceding a point on the 44th min. This was followed by the turning point of the game with the concession of a sloppy goal on the 51st min of the game which completely handed the control of the game to Mostrim. Rathcline were not without their goal chances in the latter end of the second half with Conor Casey, James Hanley and Shane Casserely coming close Further Mostrim points on the 55th, 59th and 61st minutes closed out the game on a final score of: Rathcline 2-07, Mostrim 2-12.

Best for Rathcline included our goal keeper David Rooney who pulled off some magnificent saves and was unlucky not to save the penalty in the first half. Defence was well marshalled by Cathal Greene, Blain & Ryan Fallon and Stephen Farrell. Derek Casserely played his best match at midfield all year and was the main catalyst behind Rathcline’s revival in the second half. Up front, Kevin Hanley worked tirelessly at centre forward breaking up Mostrim play, Mel Shanley provided good support to the inside forward line of James, Shane and Aaron.

Team: David Rooney, Cathal Greene, Blain Fallon, Stephen Farrell, Michael Hanley, Shane Donoghue, Eamon Farrell, Derek Casserely, Ryan Fallon, Colin Fayne, Kevin Hanley, Mel Shanley, James Hanley, Shane Casserely, Aaron Madden Subs Used: Paddy Mullooly, James Carroll, Conor Casey, Sean Morrisey.

The result puts Rathcline in mid table with a game in hand. There is now a two week break before Round 4 of the League. Rathcline play away to Fr. Manning Gaels on Friday 31st May in Monaduff at 8pm. This is followed by a quick turnaround time to play Dromard on the following Bank holiday Monday on 3rd June at 2:30pm.   

Photographs of the match can be seen on the Club Photos section of this website or on Facebook.

Reserve League 2 - Rd 6 - Rathcline vs. Moydow Harpers

posted 28 Apr 2013, 11:30 by Unknown user

Date: Saturday 27th April 2013 @ 6:00pm

Venue: Clonbonny

Final Score: Rathcline 2-12, Moydow Harpers 2-14

Commiserations to our Reserve League 2 Squad who suffered their first defeat of the year to the hands of Moydow Harpers. The defeat leaves Rathcline in second position in the league table with one group game left vs. Ballymahon. This game is scheduled to take place on Saturday 18th May in Leo Casey Pk at 7pm. 

Rathcline were generally poor across the pitch with the team relying on individual performances to keep them out of trouble for this game. James Hanley was excellent in the full forward line with Stephen Farrell controlling the half forward line. In the middle, Shane Casserely caught brilliant ball and got his name on the score sheet with quick thinking to snatch a goal in the second half. Our half backline was steady enough with good performance from Seanie Morrisey. Danny Sullivan was very commanding at full back.

All round, it was a game where our bigger players didn't turn up and much improved performances are needed if the team have any aspirations of retaining the Reserve League 2 title.


Team: David Mulvihill, Cathal Greene, Danny Sullivan, Conor McGrath, Mel Shanley, Michael Hanley, Sean Morrisey, Kevin Chapman, Shane Casserely, Stephen Farrell, Kevin Hanley, Fiachra Beirne, Colin Fayne, Joey Rooney, James Hanley. Subs: James Brennan, Rory Donnellan.

1-10 of 14